Discover our Appart'Etud Nemea residences

Help with moving costs for students


Help with moving costs for students

It's quite common for students to move out of the family home to study. But moving into a new flat, student residence or university hall of residence is bound to have its costs. For a student, this is a major financial outlay. Fortunately, there are various forms of support for young people in financial difficulty.


Help for students moving home

There are several stages involved in moving to another city to study. Before applying for housing assistance for young professionals or students, you have to move from point A to point B. Then make sure all your paperwork is in order to receive financial support. 

1. Help with moving home:

  • The Loca-Pass advance makes it easier for students to find accommodation, by offering a zero-interest loan, so they can pay the deposit for their accommodation. Students with a grant, apprentices, students with jobs and on work experience placements (who have a contract for at least 3 months) can apply to Action Logement. 
  • Master's mobility assistance: students with a bachelor's degree who are enrolled in the first year of a master's degree can, subject to certain criteria, receive €1,000 to help them move and settle in. The government's aim is to make it easier for them to move for their studies.

2. Housing subsidies:

  • The APL for students, Aide Personnalisée au Logement, is a sum paid by the CAF (Caisse d'Allocations Familiales) each month. It helps to reduce accommodation costs and is open to everyone, including students, provided they meet the necessary conditions. 
  • Mobili-Jeune is a scheme for young people under the age of 30 who are on a work placement and renting their main home. It covers part of the rent, from €10 to €100 per month, subject to certain conditions. Contact Action Logement for more information.
  • Local relocation grants: some regions or towns offer special grants for people moving to their area to study. Contact your CROUS for more information.
  • L'ALS, Allocation de Logement Social, is a housing subsidy intended, among other things, for students with limited means. It is paid by the CROUS, or by the CAF for private rented accommodation.
  • L'ALF, Allocation de Logement Familiale, is a housing subsidy for students who have children and/or a family.